Wednesday, August 26, 2009

From the outside looking in

Tomorrow I'm heading off on a week's vacation, which will include five foreign destinations (not counting my layover in Ohio). In an unintentionally fitting kick-off to my trip, tonight I went to a Spanish conversation meet-up, where it was confirmed that, (1) yes, I have lost almost all of my formerly great Spanish-speaking skills, but (2) I can still understand a lot.

It was interesting to be in a situation where I could follow conversation and be reminded of this world I used to inhabit almost effortlessly, and yet not be able to express myself very easily at all, let alone be understood. But I think it's a good position to put oneself in every once in a while, especially in contrast to the smugness I sometimes let myself fall into when I'm at the French meet-ups and feel like a star.

Maybe you writers should try something similar--try out a different POV, explore a different world, attempt to inhabit the mind of a character who at first seems so foreign to you. You may be pleasantly surprised at the results.

So, with this optimism in mind, I'm going to go pack for the Baltics, where I know not a word of the languages spoken--and maybe that will make my experience even richer. You never know.

Happy (interesting, thought-provoking, challenging) travels!

- L'Editrice

No comments:

Post a Comment