Thursday, May 10, 2012

Sweet city


It's probably no surprise to you that I base much of my social/travel life around eating, especially desserts. Recently a friend came to visit me in Houston for the first time, and I had to push myself past my normal dessert tour to recommend other attractions (since in the 4 or so free hours she had she wasn't going to spend the whole time eating sweets). But if you have longer, all your sweet-tooth dreams can be realized . . .

What are you in the mood for?

Cookies:
- Go to Tiff's Treats and get an amazing Tiffwich (ice-cream sandwich). Better yet: get these warm cookies delivered right to your door! Tiff's has always been an Austin fave of mine, so I was thrilled when it finally arrived in Houston. (Also, their idea of cookie boxes as wedding favors is genius.)
- Enjoy beautiful and delicious macarons at Petite Sweets. Just make sure you have your camera handy, because you're going to want to document the gorgeous color combinations.

Gelato:
- Just a few months old but already a local favorite, SweetCup has a wondrous selection of artisanal gelato, and super-friendly owner Jasmine will let you try as many samples as you want.
- If you'd also like to buy some exotic groceries (or just pretend you're going to) and/or hang out at Discovery Green while you enjoy your gelato, head to Phoenicia's downtown location and dip it up there.

Cupcakes:
- Celebrity has the best chocolate truffle and s'mores cupcakes. It's also next door to Berripop, in case someone in your party wants yogurt instead--or in addition! (When I saw this cool new Spanish-style building, I totally wanted to live on one of the floors above, but sadly--or perhaps soundly, for me--it seems to only be business rentals.)
- Crave gets my vote for the best "classic" cupcake: vanilla/yellow cake with chocolate icing. Two locations: Rice Village/West U and Uptown Park.
- Sugarbaby's is a super-cute store, with lots more to buy than just edible goodies. It's as if Marie Antoinette opened a cupcake shop! I've had a great s'mores version there, but I'm also intrigued by the Peachy Bellini. Also, I would not be sad at all if someone gifted me a Couture Cupcake Hatbox. Just saying.
- Sprinkles is a national chain, and I'm disappointed that we don't yet have a cupcake ATM at this location, but their classic vanilla-with-chocolate-frosting and marshmallow chocolate (notice a theme, yet?) are top notch.
- Sweet is adorable, in a fun location for shopping and hanging out, and has the best s'mores cupcake I think I've ever had. Also: beautiful macarons!
- Though it's out in the 'burbs, I have to mention Frosted Bakery, as they provided the cupcakes for my wedding--including vegan ones!

Yogurt:
- Yogurt is probably my go-to dessert run these days, and there are many choices for self-serve yogurt in Houston, a few of which I have yet to try . . . but I'm always going to recommend the international chain Yogurtland above all others. It's well priced, has a great selection, and just really fun--and it was my first-ever self-serve experience, so I'm forever loyal. (Also, I discovered that the wifi from next-door Randalls at the Montrose-ish location works if you're sitting outside at Yogurtland--yes, I have spent a very happy workday afternoon there.)
- However, I will give a shout-out to Sweet Lola in Midtown, whose decor is so warm and adorable I'd like to live there--and they have wifi. Their selection is limited, but totally unique-y boutique-y.

Dessert variety:
- In the same area (CityCentre) as Sweet, Flora & Muse is a charming, charming place. They also have a bistro & bar next door . . . and fresh flowers to buy! I would also like to live there.
- The Town & Country Village location of Ooh La La Dessert Boutique has a sweet for every tooth, and plenty of space to spread out and hang out in.


There you have it! Now I'd better go eat some vegetables.
- L'Edi-Sweet

No comments:

Post a Comment