Friday, May 11, 2012

Nothing "Rookie" about it


My sister introduced me to this amazing online magazine the other day by e-mailing me: Have you seen this? Seems like something you could write for?

I have no idea where she found it, but I was instantly obsessed. It felt to me like the online reincarnation of that wise-and-cool-beyond-its-years teen magazine of yesteryear, Sassy . . . and (though not saying I'm so cool or wise) also just reminded me of me. I mean, any place that has style-icon odes to both Dorothy from "Golden Girls" and Angela Lansbury is one where I want to be.

Then I discovered it is actually meant for teens--which only made me feel silly/disappointed for about a split-second. I obviously love teen things, especially smart ones, and it made me feel really happy that there are still quality (and fun!) alternative voices and spaces for teen girls these days. And I know I would have loved it as a teenage girl (as I still do, as I am still very much the teenage girl I was then--plus it's totally into 90s nostalgia as well).

I checked out some of the contributors, and discovered that the amazing young Tavi Gevinson is the founder and editor-in-chief! I remember hearing a while back about how she was starting a feminist website/magazine for girls. It's even better than I could have hoped.

All this makes me so happy, so I'm tagging this post under "Listetrice," since I decided that is also the appropriate tag for all of my loves/obsessions--and since all together they make up my (rather long) short list of awesomeness.

- L'Editrice

No comments:

Post a Comment