Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Authorial awesomeness


At the end of last month I did critiques at SCBWI-Houston's annual conference. It was so great to be back in a writers' community, especially since day to day I'm pretty isolated from everyone. I met many inspiring writers there, but these kind words I received from an author shortly afterward especially touched me . . .


I cannot thank you enough for the nomination [for an award that gives the winner a mentorship with writer Kathi Appelt] you gave me yesterday. I do not exaggerate when I say that this will change my life. I've been waiting for that tipping point of encouragement that would allow me to take the risk of leaving my day job and finally focusing full time on my writing. Even after all my critiques, although I was very encouraged that my novel was heading in the right direction, I wasn't ready to make that leap yesterday. With this nomination, the mindshare my novel among the attendees, and the value it will bring to my submissions, I finally feel confident enough to take this huge step.

But there is something else I wanted to thank you for as well – your actual words. What you wrote about my work was so beautiful, I could barely hold back my tears. And it caught the attention of every single person in that room! I have lost count of the number of people who came up to me afterwards and talked to me about the novel, and what you had said about it.

Whether or not I get the opportunity to work with Kathi Appelt, the value of your nomination (and your words in that nomination!) will always loom large in my writing career.


Readers, be on the lookout for Maya Kanwal's work--she's a rising star! And thanks to Maya for making my job so worth it.

- L'Editrice

No comments:

Post a Comment