Thursday, January 6, 2011

Coulda, woulda, shoulda

There are loads of books that I wish I had written because they're awesome and brilliant and define why I love literature. But there are only a handful that I feel I could/should have written--because their subject matter, sentiments, etc. are so in line with what I think I would write about and how, if I someday just got around to it--and some other writer beat me to it.

That's not to say I'm jealous--in fact, it makes me happy to feel I have kindred spirits in these writers. . . . and that they are much more disciplined than me and do rather than just thinking about it. (And honestly, I am more than happy editing others' great writing!) Here's the list:

- Good Enough, by Paula Yoo.
- Boys, Girls, and Other Hazardous Materials, by Rosalind Wiseman.
- Acceptance, by Susan Coll.
- The Avery Sisters trilogy, by Rachel Vail: Lucky, Gorgeous, & Brilliant. (Super-cool concept that I can't explain well here, so just read them. It is also slightly freaky how much the Avery girls mirror my sisters and me, and I love how they show that the role you--and others--feel you fit in your family does not actually define who you are.)

Although I have a Kindle now, there are always going to be books I want to own and put on my bookshelf, and these are definitely on the list.

However, if you have tons of shelf space to fill, maybe you should check out this article. I thought this quote was especially fascinating: " 'The more that objects become replaced by digital virtual counterparts--from records and books to photo albums and even cash--watch for people to fetishize the physical object. Books are being turned into decorative accessories, for example, and records into art.' "

Thoughts?

Bibliophilically,
L'Editrice

No comments:

Post a Comment