Monday, September 20, 2010

This should be called "*Inappropriate* Quotation Marks". . .

. . . because the way people use them is not unncessary, it is *wrong.* (Also, notice how I put little asterisks around words I want to emphasize--that is what you can do to emphasize a word. Or you could italicize it, capitalize, bold it, underline it . . . But do NOT put quotation marks around it, because technically that serves to undermine it.)

Oh, but I think slide number 12 is fine. The "real" world as opposed to the school world is an expression/subjective concept, so quotation marks are appropriate there.

- L'Editrice

P.S. I don't love The Huffington Post uniformly. I feel like the trashy, Euro-tabloid-style celebrity gossip and photos they include on the site undermine the credibility of their real reporting.

No comments:

Post a Comment