Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A momentous occasion


Great news! One of my clients, Jen Salvato Doktorski, just sold her YA manuscript Dead Lines to Eve Adler at Henry Holt BFYR!

This is a momentous occasion for her, as it will be her first published book, but it's also a momentous occasion for me--because this is the first book that I've worked on as an independent editor that has been acquired. And, hey, it's pretty close to the one-year anniversary of my starting my freelance business, so nice timing there! Peep cupcakes all around! (See photo.)

Anyway, my work with Jen has been especially rewarding, because there's some history there. I first heard Jen read the first page of Dead Lines aloud at a New Jersey SCBWI conference in the spring of 2008, when I was still working at Greenwillow. I was intrigued by her premise of a precocious-yet-naive New Jersey teen who finds she fits in better at the obituary desk of her local newspaper than at her high school, and asked her to send me the full manuscript. Once I read the whole thing, I felt it still needed work, but knew amazing potential was there, and encouraged Jen to keep revising.

Fast-forward to June 2009, when Jen found out about my new business and hired me to look at her revision of the manuscript. Not too long after this she landed an agent, and today she is an official published-author-to-be!

Jen's is definitely an inspirational story, showing the importance of persistence, patience, and hard work.

Congratulations, Jen! We will be waiting impatiently for your 2012 publication date--and of course wishing that it will be bumped up to even sooner!

- L'Editrice

No comments:

Post a Comment