Sunday, June 14, 2009

Telling stories

When I decided to become an editor, I assumed that the way I read for enjoyment would change. And it's true, sometimes I will read something and wonder how it could have been different with a different editor--but mostly I think it's fascinating, and not anything I obsess over and nitpick about. Luckily, I can indeed still read for pleasure--perhaps even more so, because I know all the work that goes into a book, so I admire its creators even more and are willing to look past weaknesses more generously.

I have also gotten more interested in storytelling of all forms. Though I know a movie takes hundreds more people to come to life, sometimes I'll watch one and think, Man, I could have edited that story a lot better--the plot and characters might have even made sense. (I'm looking at you, "Because I Said So.")

I also find that whereas in the past I might have admired the actors or director in a really great movie, now I'm mostly interested in the person who usually gets the least spotlight of all, the writer. Like after watching "Little Miss Sunshine," I went straight to IMDB to find out what additional movies by Michael Arndt I could watch. (Sadly, the answer is not very many--yet.)

How has your perception and/or awareness of storytelling--whether in fiction or non (biography, journalism, "reality" TV, documentary, etc.--they are all putting forth a narrative)--changed since you started writing/illustrating/editing?

- L'Editrice

No comments:

Post a Comment