Thursday, February 25, 2010

Think (and re-think, and say out loud) before you write

I don't mean to make fun of what I'm sure are fine establishments, but I've now seen one too many Universal Technical Institute commercials and I have to say something: Did no one realize that their acronym (which they definitely go by) is also shared with urinary tract infection?

It reminds me of a store I passed when I was home last month: its name was PooLife, which I was hoping was some sort of ayurvedic vitamin store with an unfortunate transliteration, but no, it is a pool-cleaning store.

Listen, when one of your needed words has "poo" in it, you can't make a cutesey compound name. Just call it "Pool Life." Because "poo" is one thing you don't want in a pool--unless they are advertising their ability to help you get rid of it.

Scatalogically yours,
L'Editrice

1 comment:

  1. Wow... I can't believe those names!! Hilarious, and also worrying.
    I thought you'd also be interested in this... I haven't read any of the books but from the analysis, I'm not sure I ever will.. http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2010/03/the_writing_style_of_twilight.html

    ReplyDelete