Friday, November 6, 2009

Overused words that annoy me

Has anyone else noticed how the word "hot" has replaced every other description of attractiveness? And sometimes it's just not appropriate. You should not call your mom "hot" if you're trying to compliment her on her makeover, a child should not look "hot" (nor should she be made to look like a 25-year-old sorority girl at age 8), etc. I mean, I understand that words' meanings often change, but the origin of the word "hot" is definitely sexual, and I think the connotation is still there.

Similarly, can we please finally retire the word "co-ed"? It comes from back in the day when it was a big deal for all-male schools to let women in. And even then, technically all the students were "co-eds" since both sexes attended a co-educational school. I'm so sick of the word being used as a synonym for female students, especially when people want them to sound all sexy and scandalous.

That's all!
- L'Editrice

No comments:

Post a Comment