Sunday, September 20, 2009

I wish we all could be California girls (and gals)


Trip #2, to Southern California, had me thinking a lot about inspiration. I found myself wondering how anyone could get any work done in such a wonderful place. I mean, when you have the distractions of year-round gorgeous weather and beaches, open-air shopping malls, and Yogurtland, how can a writer be expected to have the discipline to sit down and actually write something, let alone to suffer, as all great artists must?
I exaggerate, of course, but I do wonder if different types of people get inspiration from different types of environments, and/or if the same person might write totally distinct things when placed in these varying worlds. For example, I could definitely see how the Mission Viejo library (see photo above) might inspire one to actually go to the library and work--and stay there--while those of us who live in places where fall is beginning to make its presence known might be inspired by the perennial sense of hope, change, and excitement that a classic fall brings, never mind that it's been years since we were in school. (And let's not forget the new fall clothes--judging by my recent purchases, it seems I still long to be Blair Waldorf. My recent binge on "Gossip Girl," Season 2 episodes may have had a slight influence there.)

For me, last week sadly marked the first time in many months that I had to wear a jacket, as well as shoes with socks--but I'm fighting hard not to break my rule of No Boots, Tights, or Wool Coats Before October. I actually do like fall (the cooler weather reminds me of childhood summers in Belgium, and Christmastime in Houston : P), but I just wish that winter--and Daylight Savings--didn't have to follow it. And for the record, I found myself spontaneously coming up with many creative ideas in SoCal, though maybe my relaxed, vacation state of mind (pun unintended, yet appropriate) was also a big reason for it.

When and where are you most inspired? What are your "back-to-school" goals?

XOXO,
L'Editrice

No comments:

Post a Comment