Friday, March 28, 2014

My review of "Veronica Mars"

It was definitely for the fans, and I am one, so I quite enjoyed it. And at least part of the ending made me really happy (the other part I could take or leave). However, three pieces marred me from loving it:

1) Were they trying to compete with The Wolf of Wall Street's F-bomb record by including as many B-words as possible? (Yes, I said "B-word." I am a feminist with strong feelings about the mainstreaming of anti-female putdowns.) I get that it harkens back to the series and how people reacted to Veronica as a strong woman, but at a certain point it felt gratuitous and like it was for cheap laughs. (The one great instance of non-cheap humor using it? Veronica's faux-hurt response to Gia and Cobb's conversation: "It's called curiosity!")

2) The inclusion of "TMZ" in any capacity immediately sleazes up everything it touches. Ten thumbs down.

3) James Franco. Blech, I am so over him. He was doing yet another stupid cameo as "himself," and that totally took away from the film's originality and indie cred.

That is all.
- L'Editrice

No comments:

Post a Comment